Sunday, July 21, 2013

Antichamber Review

Game:  Antichamber
Year (s):  2013
Company:  dev.  Alexander Bruce
pub.  Demruth
Engine:  Unreal Engine 3
Type:  Puzzle
Viewpoint:  First-Person
Metacritic Score: 82
My Score:  An astonishing shit.

Price (as of July 21, 2013)

Regular list price on Steam:  $20
Lowest Buy-It-Now on eBay (new, with shipping):  Not Available

My Game Time: 18 minutes

Obligatory Trailer:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/219890


Review

I first noticed Antichamber about a month ago.  After watching the trailer, I came away thinking that it had graphics to rival that of 1990 (I am not exaggerating, check out the trailer).  Nonetheless, it had a decent Metacritic score, solid reviews, a few awards, and sounded like something different.  When it was discounted during Steam's summer sale for six bucks, I figured it was worht a shot.

Antichamber is a game without an introduction or tutorial.  You start off with a red flight of stairs going down, and a blue one going up.  There are two pictures on the walls that change, but there are no clues as to what you're supposed to be doing.  At one point, I'm pretty sure I found the objective, but I couldn't figure out how to interact with it.  I tried hitting E, F, clicking the mouse, nothing.  So I continued on the stairs.  After eighteen minutes of that, I deleted the game.

Don't be fooled with the Escher-esque pitch, the awards, or anything else.  This game looks awful, teaches you nothing, and, out of 176 total games, is THE WORST GAME I have ever gotten through Steam.

1 comment:

TheGoodEarth said...

If I'm correct, you probably play aggro, and you've played a simple aggro deck for the longest time. (Keep in mind this is the only post of yours I have ever seen.)

I politely disagree with your opinion about Antichamber. You are entitled to your opinion, but I believe that your opinion is malformed based on the fact that you never experienced the actual game.

You began the game and got to the two staircases. You then banged your head against the wall for 18 minutes, and out of frustration, gave up. Antichamber is a game of persistence, and a game of non-Euclidean geometry. I will not lie, the first time I played through Antichamber, I was stuck on the stairs for about 2 minutes. I took my hands off of my mouse and keyboard, then let my curiosity get the best of me. This is a spoiler, but it seems like you need a hint. I turned around and walked back down the hallway from which I came, only to be greeted with a brand new green pathway to travel down.

Answers are almost never apparent. Things change behind you without you even knowing. Be curious. Be persistent.

Give the game another shot, and don't badmouth a game until you've played through and experienced the entire thing.

The game is designed to be harder to hardcore fps gamers to play. It actually teaches you a lot, if you'll open yourself to it. Forget everything you know about gaming, and let Alex teach you the information in his way.